Saturday, February 11, 2012

Walk the talk

           Hi all, as usual I have neglected the blog.  When life gets crazy, there is only so much one mom can do. With four kid, life is crazy 90% of the time.

     But lately I've been doing a lot of thinking and actually my girl J has inspired me.  You see, back in october/november, J decided that she wanted to raise money for kids in Africa.  She decided that she was going to sell her drawings by the road side for 50 cents a piece.  I confess.. i'm a selfish person... I considered telling her no she couldn't do that because that meant that I would have to go out there in the cold (believe me it was cold) and sit with her (there was no way I'd let her sit at the end of the driveway by herself) But I felt a tug in my spirit to give in to her.  So we made a sign that said "Pictures for sale!  For kids in Africa"  We got a table and set up at the end of the driveway.  I sat in the car so I could let her do her own thing but still keep a watchful eye on her.

       She sat there and sat there even when no one stopped. What I saw for the next little while amazed me.  Our neighbor girl came out to see what she was doing.  Then her brothers came out.  Then the other neighbor boy came out.  After a while, we had a group of kids inspired by my girl to do some good in the world.   Next a group of teenage boys came walking down the street.  One boy crossed the street to see what they were selling.  He started to say that he didn't have any money until he saw what the cause was.  Then he yelled over to his friends for them to give him some money.  "These kids are selling pictures for kids in Africa! Anyone got any money?" he said.  Quarters started flying across the street as the other boys dug into their pockets for change.  Neighbors came out and donated money.  Someone even drove by, then turned around to stop and donate money.  At the end of her fundraising, she had raised 55 dollars.  Which she promptly gave to our missions pastor at our church.  He set that money aside for a special treat for the children in the orphanage in Mozambique that we support as a church.

      Since then, J has helped raise money for school desks for that orphanage and is helping to support a mission trip this november.

     It may seem like I"m bragging on her and yes I am so proud of her.  I am also completely convicted and inspired.  If one 9 year old girl can make more of a difference in the lives of others than I have in 32 years, then well I have completely failed my life.   It's not too late though.  I can start now to live the life that God has intended for me.

     For starters, I signed up to go to Mozambique in november with our church mission team.  I am nervous, excited, worried and terrified.  I am beginning to see past myself and see others in need.  I have lead such a self centered life, always worried about what I have or what I need, when really I am RICH.

     I've just finished a book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.   One thing in his book really resonated in my heart.   He said  "If 100 people represented the world's population, fifty-three of those would live on less than $2 a day... Which is more messed up --that we have so much compared to everyone else, or that we don't think we're rich? That on any given day we might flippantly call ourselves "broke" or "poor"? We are neither of those things. We are rich. Filthy rich."   

      It is so true, if we would take money that we spend on eating out or going to the movies and send it to someone in need, WE may be able to make a difference in the world.   There really isn't any need for poverty when we in North America, have more than enough to provide food, and medical supplies to those who need it.

     Matthew 5:16 says "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

     THIS is our purpose.  We as Christians need to ask ourselves Is this the most loving way to do life?   Try for a whole day to be conscious of how God intended you to live your life.  I guarantee your life and your way of thinking will change.  Back to J... Our children will inherit this earth just as we inherited it from our parents.  If we start now, inspiring kids to change their world now as a child, how much more will they make their world for the better.  I just read a news story about a boy who made it his mission to take on an annual community project.  This year, he raised 10,000 dollars to save his grandmother's house from foreclosure.  What this one boy did made it into the news.  He is amazing.  We need more amazing children like this. 

      I was thinking the other day..  There are so many self help books out there.. Instead of trying to better ourselves, what if we try bettering the world and in the process maybe we will become better people.   I don't know if any of this post makes any sense.. I just needed to get all my thoughts out.  Hopefully someone will read this and take the challenge.  In the words of Francis Chan, "I urge you to consider and live as though each person you come into contact with is Christ"

     I know that God has more in store for me than I could ever imagine.  I'm going to make it a purpose in my life to walk the talk.  Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spam I have to moderate my comments. Please leave a comment anyway and I will probably approve you as soon as I see it.. unless you are spamming me ;)